Professor, Department of Gerontolgoy, St. Thomas University
Fredericton, NB, Canada
- The Taos Institute – Institute Association
- Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Narrative
- Atlantic Institute on Aging
- Co-editor of Narrative Works: Issues, Investigations, Interventions
- Editorial board member: Journal of Aging Studies & Aging, Culture, Humanities
- Ed.D., University of Toronto (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education)
- Th.M., Princeton Theological Seminary
- M.Div., University of Toronto
- A.B., Harvard University (cum laude)
- Co-recipient (with E. Bohlmeijer, G. Westerhof, T. Tromp, & G. Kenyon) of the Theoretical Developments in Social Gerontology Award, Gerontological Society of America. (2009)
- Chancellor’s Special Merit Award for Research, St. Thomas University (2008)
- 1995-present: Department of Gerontology, St. Thomas University
- 1979-1990: minister with United Church of Canada (Saskatchewan, Ontario, & NB)
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- narrative gerontology
- biographical aging
- reminiscence as “reading our lives”
- autobiographical learning and wisdom
- narrative factors in late life resilience
- narrative care with older adults
- Randall, W. (forthcoming). Tales from the coffee shop: The narrative complexity of ordinary life. Book in series on Narrative Psychology (Mark Freeman, ed). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Randall, W. (in press). The stories we are: An essay on self-creation (2nd edition, with Preface & Afterword by author). Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press. Originally issued, 1995
- Randall, W. (2013). Aging, irony, and wisdom: On the narrative psychology of later life. Theory & Psychology, 23(2). 164-183.
- Randall, W. (2013). The importance of being ironic: Narrative openness and personal resilience in later life. The Gerontologist, 53(1). 9-16.
- Randall, W. (2012). Positive aging through reading our lives: On the poetics of growing old. Invited contribution to special issue on the legacy of Kenneth Gergen. Psychological Studies, 57(2).
- Kenyon, G., Bohlmeijer, E., & Randall, W. (Eds.) (2011). Storying later life: Issues, investigations, and interventions in narrative gerontology. New York: Oxford University Press. (Selected for inclusion in Oxford Scholarship Online)