Professor of Psychology, Radford University
- Department of Psychology, Radford University
- Gerontological Society of America
- Association for Gerontology in Higher Education
- American Psychological Society
- International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review (IIRLR)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University Medical Center
- PhD, Psychology (Experimental), University of Maine
- BA, Psychology, McGill University
- Radford University Foundation Award for Creative Scholarship
- Radford University Nominee for State Council of Higher Education in Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award
- College of Arts and Science Distinguished Teaching Award
- Tom’s interest in reminiscence and life go back to 2011 when he began compiling photographs and digital audio recordings of reminiscence for older adults in PowerPoint presentations.
- Tom has served as the Editor of the IIRLR’s newsletter since 2006 and served as the President of the IIRLR’s Advisory Board from 2009 to 2011
- Tom helps older adults to preserve audio recordings of memories for personal history in PowerPoint presentation
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Tom is interested in the use of photographs and audio recordings of memories for personal history as memory cues for persons with dementia.
- Tom is also collaborating with Hans Schroots on analyses of data derived from lifelines obtained using Hans’ Lifeline Interview Method
- Aspelmeier, J.E., Love, M.M., McGill, L.A., Elliott, A.N., & Pierce, T.W. (in press). Self-Esteem, Locus of Control, College Adjustment, and GPA among First- and continuing-generation students: A moderator model of generational status. Journal of Research in Higher Education.
- Pierce, T. W. (2010). Potential, resistance, and the “power” of teaching. Radford University Foundation. In Celebration of Teaching: Radford University Faculty Perspectives. Linus Publications, Deer Park, NY.
- Aspelmeier, J. E. & Pierce. T. W. (2010). SPSS: A User-Friendly Approach for Versions 17 and 18 (2nd Ed.). Worth Publishers, New York, NY.
- Elliott, A.N., Alexander, A.A., Pierce, T.W., Aspelmeier, J.E., & Richmond, J.M. (2009). Childhood maltreatment, poly-victimization, psychological distress, and adjustment to college in women. Child Maltreatment, 14, 549-566.
- Pierce, T.W. (2007). The landscape of reminiscence research. Proceedings of the Sixth Biennial Conference of the International Institute on Reminiscence and Life Review. University of Wisconsin-Superior. Pp. 291-297.
- see complete list of products above