Owner, Memoir-Writing Workshops
Resident Scholar, Oregon Writing Project, University of Oregon
Workshop Presenter, for numerous continuing education programs, libraries, retreat and renewal organizations, writers’ groups and religious organization.
- The Oregon Writing Project, University of Oregon in Eugene
- International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review (IIRLR)
- Master of Liberal Arts, John Hopkins University
- Nan’s interest in American literature, education and years of teaching have all contributed as the background for her present work in the field of reminiscence.
Nan’s workshops have a wide range:
- Monthly sessions in Indianapolis where she co-guides pastors in writing to explore their vocational dedication
- Nation-wide, online teaching for Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA
- On the West Coast, she guides writers in writing to explore “wilderness within and without”
- In Washington, D.C., Church of Epiphany, she led participants in writing to design sacred space
- Nan has also conducted a series of interfaith writing workshops
- Nan is currently creating a writing-to-heal manual for veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress.
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Phifer, N. (2011). Memoirs of the Soul: A Writing Guide. Writer’s Digest Books. Ingot Press. Partners West.
- Phifer, N. (2002). Memoirs of the Soul: Writing Your Spiritual Autobiography. Walking Stick Press, F & W Publications.