Associate Professor, University of Connecticut, School of Nursing
- Association for Community Health Educators
- Connecticut Public Health Nurses Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- International Community Health Nursing Research
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review (IIRLR)
- Post-Doctoral, Geriatric Nursing Research Fellowship, New York University, John A. Hartford Foundation, Institute for Geriatric Nursing
- PhD, Nursing, University of Connecticut
- MS, Nursing (Community Health), University of Connecticut
- Diploma, Nursing, St. Mary’s Hospital School of Nursing
- MS, Education Admin, Central Connecticut State University
- BS, Education, Central Connecticut State University
- Community Service Partnership Award Visiting Nurse Association of South Central Connecticut
- NIH Summer Training Institute on the Design and Conduct of Randomized Clinical Trials Involving Behavioral Interventions Fellow
- Yale Clinical Translational Science Award Scholar
- National Institute of Aging/ National Institute of Health Summer Aging Research Institute Participant
- John A. Hartford Foundation Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Hartford Institute Summer Geriatric Nursing Research Seminar Scholar
- University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Mary Lawrence Award Nursing Research Development Award
- University of Connecticut, School of Nursing Carolyn Ladd Widmer Award for significant scholarly contributions in the field of nursing research
- University of Connecticut, School of Nursing the Eleanor K. Gill Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice
- Sigma Theta Tau – National Honor Society of Nursing
- St. Mary’s Hospital, School of Nursing Sr. Margaret Rosita Award for Caring in Clinical Practice
- Over 30 years in Nursing Education
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- PI – 2008 K01NINR Development of a Peer Facilitated Reminiscence Intervention to Decrease Depression in Older African-Americans. Scored at 191 ( Not funded)
- PI – 2008 P30 CARELINK Heart Health Program. A Cardiac Self-management Program for Homebound Older Adults. Yale School of Nursing Center for Self and Family Management of Vulnerable Populations. Submitted 2/15. (Not funded)
- PI – 2007 Clinical Translational Science Award (Yale Center for Clinical Investigation). The Meaning, Patterns, and Functions of Reminiscence in Older African-Americans ($72,000)
- Ethics in Home Care in Neal L, & Madigan, E. (Eds.) (in press). Core Curriculum for Home Health Care Nursing. National Association for Home Care. Washington DC: Home Care University Publishing
- Life Review and Reminiscence in Capezuti, E., Siegler, G., & Mezey, M.D. (Eds.) (2007). The Encyclopedia of Elder Care (2nd ed.). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Shellman, J., Granara, C., & Rosengarten, E. (2011). Barriers to depression care for older Black adults, practice and policy implications. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(6), 13-17.
- Shellman J., Ennis, E., & Addison., K. (2011). A contextual examination of reminiscence in older African-Americans. Journal of Aging Studies.
- see complete list of products above
- Shellman, J. & Neafsey, P.J. (1999). Preventing Medicine Conflicts from Self-Medication: Training Manual for Senior Community Health Nursing Students. Storrs, CT: The University of Connecticut School of Nursing.
- Shellman, J. (1998). Take a Walk Down Memory Lane: A Reminiscence Education Program: Training Manual for Senior Nursing Students. Storrs, CT: The University of Connecticut School of Nursing.
- Shellman, J. (1996). Preventing Wounds in Older Adults, Training Program for Certified Nursing Assistants and Licensed Staff. Cheshire CT: Cheshire Convalescent Center.