Professor, Gerontology Programs, San Francisco State University
Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Ecology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- Member, Institute on Medicine, Board of Health of Select Populations
- Policy Advisor, AARP California
- Gerontological Society of America
- American Society on Aging
- California Council on Gerontology and Geriatrics
- Association for Death Education and Counseling
- International Institute of Reminiscence and Life Review (IIRLR)
- Ph.D., Life-Span Social Psychology, University of British Columbia
- MA, Social-Personality Psychology, University of British Columbia
- BS, Psychology, University of British Columbia
- The Just Desserts Award for Outstanding Student Service
- Adjunct Professor, University of Texas, School of Public Health
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Special Post-doctoral Fellowship in Population Aging
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Post-doctoral Fellowship (declined)
- British Columbia Post-Secondary Scholarship
- British Columbia Gerontological Association Award for outstanding contribution to the field of gerontology in British Columbia
- Morris Belkin Award for best graduate thesis
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship
- University of British Columbia Graduate Fellowship
- 23 years in gerontology education
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Social relationships across the life course
- Life Stories
- Life Review
- LGBT Issues in later life
PRODUCTS:Complete list of publications
- Wight, R., LeBlanc, A., de Vries, B., & Detels, R. (2012). Stress and mental health among midlife and older gay-identified men. American Journal of Public Health, e1-e8
- Institute on Medicine. (co-author; 2011). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press
- de Vries, B. (Guest Co-Editior) (2011-2012). Journal of Homosexuality.
- de Vries, B. (2011). LGBT Aging: Research and Policy Implications. Public Policy and Aging Report. 21(3), 33-34
- de Vries, B. (Editor) (2007-2011). Sexuality Research and Social Policy
- Herdt, G. & de Vries, B. (Eds.) (2004). Gay and lesbian aging: Research and future directions. New York: Springer
- Kenyon, G., Clark, P., & de Vries, B. (Eds.) (2001). Narrative gerontology: Theory, research, and practice. New York: Springer.
- de Vries, B. My friends and I: The multiple meanings of friend in the second half of life.
- de Vries, B., Blieszner, R., & Adams, R. The cultural context of friendship in the third age.
- de Vries, B., Wardlaw, L., & Mullan, J.T. Looking back: Life plans and life trajectories following the death of a loved one from AIDS.
- Uhlenkott, R., de Vries, B., & Blando, J.A. The culture of grief: The role of obituaries.
- Wight, R., LeBlanc, A., & de Vries, B. Aging, Stress, and Mental Health among Midlife and Older Gay-Identified Men.