The Robert Butler and Myrna Lewis Exemplar Research Award
The work of the recipients for this award has primarily focused on one or more of those domains:
- Conceptual/theoretical issues of personal memory
- Research projects identifying individual difference variables in reminiscence processes
- Correlates of autobiographical memory and theoretical exploration of the role of life review and reminiscence in normal development.
The James and Betty Birren Award for Excellence in Practice
The recipients for this award are generally applied practitioners, those front-line workers/researchers examining the therapeutic uses and outcomes of life review groups, reminiscence therapies, and other autobiographical approaches which seek to understand human development and aging from the “inside out.”
Eligibility for the Butler-Lewis and Birren Awards
- Must be a member of the IIRLR or attendee of IIRLR conference
- Cannot be current Advisory Board officer (President-Elect, President, Secretary)
Nomination Process for the Butler-Lewis and Birren Awards
- Self-nominations are not allowed;
Nominations can be made by any member in good standing with the IIRLR;
Nominators must complete a brief nomination narrative (no longer than a single page) detailing how the nominee is worthy of the award;
Nominees must be notified of the nomination and agree to stand for evaluation; and
Nominees will provide curriculum vita and/or evidence to support their nomination.
Qualifications for the Butler-Lewis and Birren Awards
Objective evidence of clear contribution to the field in the form of:
- Publications (number/quality/impact/citation rate, etc.)
- Presentations (posters, talks, roundtables, etc.)
- Applications (interventions, group work, workshop presentation, training program, etc.)
- Service in relation to IIRLR mission and goals (Service alone is not sufficient to qualify for an award but could be considered an important adjunct).
- Qualifications will emphasize different components depending upon which award is being considered (i.e. Butler-Lewis or Birren Award).
During the biennial conference, the winners shall be introduced by the past award recipients.
New Award Announced
John A Kunz Award for Distinguished Service to the International Institute for Reminiscence and Life Review (IIRLR)
The recipient for this award has primarily focused on one or more of the following:
- Service to the Institute
- Promotion of Reminiscence and Life Review, or
- Contribution to Interdisciplinary work in the field of Reminiscence and Life Review
- Self-nominations are not allowed;
- Nominations can be made by any member in good standing with the IIRLR;
- Nominators must complete a brief nomination narrative (no longer than a single page) detailing how the nominee is worthy of the award
Nominee must have been a member of the Institute for at least five years (staff members eligible after 5 years’ service)
- Service to the IIRLR (such as organization of conferences, work related to the International Journal for Reminiscence & Life Review (IJRLR))
- Promotion of Reminiscence and Life Review in general
- Contribution to interdisciplinary work in the field of Reminiscence and Life Review
- Administrative work related to smooth operation of the institute (such as promotion of the institute/journal at other national/international conferences, providing links to the IIRLR website from their own organizations/professional websites)
Florence Gray-Soltys Graduate Student Award for Exemplary Research or Practice in the Field of Reminiscence and Life Review
This award is for exemplary research or practice in the field of reminiscence and life review that contributes to the IIRLR mission by a graduate student. Nominations will be accepted from faculty and others who believe the work of a graduate student significantly forwards the IIRLR mission.
Requirements for Nomination:
- Research, program or project completed during a graduate or post-graduate program in any field that furthers the IIRLR mission.
- Nomination letter that details the above and includes a resume of the nominee.
- Contact information for both the nominator and nominee
The graduate student selected will be awarded a physically displayable award, a complimentary conference registration, two-night hotel stay, and invited to provide a 20-minute presentation at the conference.
|YEAR||LOCATION||RESEARCH AWARD||PRACTICE AWARD||STUDENT AWARD|
(Began in 2009)
|JOHN KUNZ AWARD
(Began in 2015)
|2005||Orlando||Robert Butler||James Birren||----------||-----------|
|2007||San Francisco||Peter Coleman||Barbara Haight||----------||-----------|
|John Kunz||Patricia O'Neill||-----------|
|2011||Boston||Toyoko Nomura||Pam Schweitzer||Dovrat Harel||-----------|
|2013||New Orleans||Susan Bluck||Thomas Pierce||Jojanneke Korte||-----------|
|2015||Orlando||Brian de Vries||Cheryl Svensson||Kendra O'Hora||Donna Sislo|